A full calendar of fiestas in Javea and a wide range of sports and leisure activities are just some of the attractions.
Javea fiestas calendar is one of the fullest and most representative of traditional fiestas on the Costa Blanca, since it contains examples of almost all the fiestas of Alicante province:
- Fiestas of Jesus the Nazarene and the Holy Cross: celebrated from 25 April to 3 May. The main event is the descent of the image of the Saint from Calvario Chapel to the Church of San Bartolomé. In addition to this religious event there are many others such as bull running, fireworks displays and musical bands. The fiestas also coincide with the May Cross fiestas, when crosses adorned with flowers decorate the streets of Javea.
- Midsummer Night Bonfires: the celebration of the summer solstice takes place in Javea with bull fights, fireworks displays and, of course, processions of huge papier mâché figures depicting current affairs and personalities. The midsummer night bonfires were originally bonfires on which old possessions were burnt to symbolise the purification of body and soul. This more traditional part of the bonfire ceremonies is continued to this day in Javea and “els focs de San Joan” (St John’s Bonfire) takes place on 23 June.
- Moors and Christians: these fiestas are also celebrated in Javea. They begin with a re-enactment of the Moors landing on the coast of Javea to conquer the town, which they are unable to do since the Christian re-conquest is victorious. From 12 to 20 July the town is given over to the aroma of gunpowder, bright colours, processions and elegant clothing.
- Living Chess: declared a National Tourism Event in 2002, this is one of the events which attracts most attention. The Living Chess match in Javea consists of the re-enactment of a famous chess match. It is played out with a narrator and two players, one the schoolchild winner of the Midsummer Night Bonfires Chess Tournament and the other a guest of honour. Some of the individuals who have taken part in this event are astronaut Pedro Duque, tennis player Juan Carlos Ferrero and paleo-anthropologist Juan Luis Arsuaga, to name but a few.
- Fiestas of Our Lady of Loreto: held in the first week of September in the parish church of Aduanas del Mar, a church with very individual architecture situated next to the harbour. Another of the events at these fiestas is the “Bous a la Mar”, “Bulls in the Sea”. This takes place on the harbour jetty where a temporary bull ring is set up. It has become a major tourist attraction. Denia also holds a “Bous a la Mar” and the event has been declared a National Tourism Event in this town.
- The Mare de Déu del Carmen, on 16 July; the Mare de Déu del Angels, at the beginning of August, and Santa Llúcia, on 13 December, are other fiestas of a strongly religious nature which also form part of the Javea/Xàbia calendar of fiestas and traditions.
The range of sporting activities that we can practise in Javea is varied and extensive:
- Horse riding, horse training and show jumping classes, courses, stabling, and horse trekking in the countryside are some of the choices on offer at Equestrian Montgo Valls, situated on the Javea to Gata road at the 4 Km point, telephone number 675 033 516.
- Clay pigeon shooting, Olympic pit, hunting, robot-launched and compact sporting types on the San Jerónimo Firing Range.
- Javea Golf Club offers practice greens, golf lessons and a very attractive course with wide fairways flanked by groves of pine and orange trees. It is a 9 hole course but this does not detract from its difficulty since there are plenty of bunkers along the course, 34 in total. It is situated on the Javea to Benitachell road at the 4.5 Km point.- You can play tennis in various clubs such as the L’Ancora tennis club, Los Pinos tennis club and Javea tennis club.
- The Municipal Sports Centre offers a wide variety of activities: keep fit gym, aerobics, yoga, weight training, badminton, handball, Basque handball etc. Address Avenida del Furs s/n.
- Nautical activities in Javea Nautical Club, sailing lessons, swimming, fishing competitions, domino championships, gymnasium, regattas and much more besides.